Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rainbow Color Song

I received an email from Brienne asking about music for the color song, Rainbow Around Me. That's a great question, Brienne! One I have asked my predecessors as well! We have just used the same song and learned it by rote. Unfortunately we have no music for it, but here are the lyrics:

Color Song
The world outside my window, Is a world of color I see.
Rainbow, Rainbow, Rainbow around me.
Rainbow, Rainbow, Rainbow around me.
The _____ outside my window is ________ as _________ can be.
Repeat 3rd and 4th lines.

As far as actions, we hold a blank picture frame (with no glass or mat,) as the "window" for each child to hold an object through. For the 1st verse, I hold up the frame. For the second and third verses, I move my arm in a large arc motion to convey a rainbow going from one side to the other, and then on "Around me," I paint the imaginary rainbow around myself like a lasso. For the next verse we move around to each child and let them hold the object they have brought from home. Each month we choose a different color, so as our color for September is blue, we would sing, "The ball outside my window is blue as blue can be. The shoe outside my window is blue as blue can be." Etc. To end, we sing "Rainbow, Rainbow, Rainbow around me" twice more.

I have done some looking for music to match it in the last year, and this song is probably the same originally, but over time we have made our own version. This one on amazon.com mp3 downloads is pretty close and the same tune we sing:
http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Around-Me/dp/B00193775S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1252468060&sr=1-1
You can hear a portion there and buy it for $.99 if you decide.

I also found this one by Miss Lisa:
http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-round-Me/dp/B001H5ZX7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1252468205&sr=1-2
I like the Miss Lisa version the best, but she has added "fiddle-dee-dee," which is quite cute for St. Patrick's Day and the leprechaun-rainbow idea, but I didn't feel so inclined to change what we have been doing.

I hope this helps establish your color song!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all your help. Because of this wonderful site I have started my own Cherubs group this year. And I love it. We have a great group and it grows every week!

    ReplyDelete